Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Pai Day 3 & 4 - Trekking in the mountains


Our main purpose of going to Pai was to go on a trek.  After a couple days of waiting finally there were enough people for the trek to go.  We decided to do a 2 day trek so we would spend one night at a homestay at a village in the mountains.

We were hiking in a bamboo forest!  It was a very unique experience! The hiking itself wasnt too treacherous but it was a good hike and we were trekking through areas where I could not tell that we were on a trail, it was essential to have a guide who knew where you were going.
We brought packed lunches which the trek company provided for us.  We stopped near a stream for lunch.  Our guide built a fire our of bamboo and also made us bowls and cups out of bamboo!  Also in the fire he made us tea.  If you look at the fire the green bigger piece of bamboo has hot water and tea boiling in it!
My bowl made by our guide out of bamboo leaves.  
the cups made out of bamboo... 
pouring the tea into the cups... 
We then continued hiking and arrived in the village where we were to spend the night some time in the late afternoon.  It was a cute village, all the huts were made out of bamboo and leaves.  The guides always stay in this village but switch around which hut they stay in so to spread out the wealth in the village. 
Ben and Marten in the hut with snacks after our day of trekking.
Right in the hills beside the village are some caves.  After our snacks and a brief rest we went and explored the caves.  The first cave was pretty big with narrow winding tunnels, we went in one entrance and out another... 


The second cave was significantly smaller but had a greater significance.  It was used for the burials and still contains a couple of the coffins! 
This is a coffin that would have been used at some point. 
That night our guide made us a wonderful homecooked meal!  Well more of a feast!!! There was so much food and it was all so delicious!  We were also treated to Thai whisky made from sticky-rice, it was a little strong but better then some of the other alcohol I've tried here in Thailand!
preparing all the pumpkin for the soup and stirfry!
One of our guides cooking dinner.
One of our guides, Ben, the child who lives in the house, me and Marten at dinner. 
The next morning we woke up for another day of trekking!  After another feast of a breakfast we started our day once again.  This day the main site was a waterfall!  The trek was more of a nice walk, not many uphills and along a trail.  We had lunch at the waterfall as well as a nice swim!


Jumping from the tree :) 
The plate/bowl our guide made out of bamboo! With handmade bamboo chop-sticks too!
After lunch I realised we were running a little late as I needed to catch a bus back to Chang Mai to then catch my flight back to Bangkok.  I had started to feel sick a couple days before our hike but was fighting it off knowing that being sick while hiking wouldnt be much fun... I wasnt feeling great but I got everyone moving and we hiked to the village in 45min... it was supposed to take 1.5h!!!!! 

I made the bus just in time but it was on the bus that I realised how sick I was.  I was able to fight off the cold for my entire trip which is what mattered!  I did spend the last 2 weeks with what I think was the flu... one of the reasons why I am so far behind on my blog!




No comments:

Post a Comment